Video Ad Tech Company Unruly Launches New Algorithmic Tool To Predict Virality Of French Ads
Unruly ShareRank™ can predict shareability of online ads before they’re launched
PARIS – June 2, 2015: Video ad technology company Unruly has launched a tool which can help advertisers in France predict the virality of their video ads before they are launched.
French advertisers will be able to use the predictive technology to identify the emotional, social and behavioral triggers that drive the success of their video content in France. More importantly, they will also know the earned media potential of their video ad before they have spent one euro on media.
Unruly, the global leaders in social video marketing, first launched Unruly ShareRank™ in January 2013 to help marketers in the U.S. and UK predict the ‘shareability’ of their video content.
Versions tailored for other markets, including Brazil, APAC and Germany, have since been released. Unruly has now trained the algorithm specifically for the French video ad market, expected to be worth $457m by 2018 (source: PricewaterhouseCoopers), to look at key predictive indicators of consumers’ emotional responses to branded video content throughout the region.
Unruly Country Manager Gilles Douieb said: “Brands and creative agencies in France understand there is life beyond the 30-second TV commercial and that making more emotional digital content drives deeper connections with consumers who will go on to share and buy their products or services.”
The Unruly ShareRank algorithm has been trained by combining 2 trillion video views with more than 395,000 consumer data points. When adapting the algorithm for the French market, Unruly found the following:
- French video viewers are 22.9% more likely to share a video ad online than the average viewer around the world (source: Unruly Activate – 2015);
- However, the speed of video sharing is slightly slower in France than the rest of the world. On average a branded video campaign in France attracts 38.9% of its total shares in the first three days, which is slightly lower than the global average of 42.4%. Norwegians share the fastest in the first 3 days of launch, attracting 57.0% of shares in the first three days, followed by South Korea, where it’s 52.2% (source: Unruly Analytics);
- Like a lot of countries around the world, happiness is the most resonant emotional sharing trigger for French video campaigns, followed by inspiration. In the UK and US, the most common emotional triggers are happiness and hilarity;
- The most common social motivation to share a video online in France is to seek other people’s opinions. In the UK it’s to recommend a product or service, while in Germany it’s to start a conversation.
Douieb added: “The launch of Unruly ShareRank demonstrates Unruly’s growing commitment to the French ad market. By constructing a localised set of data as to how consumers react to different emotional and brand stimuli, Unruly can help advertisers apply the science of sharing to their paid media campaigns, helping brands understand the building blocks of social success relevant to their specific audience.”
Unruly has a reach of 38.5m (83.6%) in France – the third highest reach of any publisher or network in the country (source: Mediametrie, NetRatings, March 2015) – and recently gave advertisers in France a guarantee that 100% of purchased views are Nielsen Online Campaign Ratings validated.
About Unruly ShareRank
Unruly ShareRank has identified the 100+ viral variables that contribute to social video success. It is used by some of the biggest global brand advertisers to evaluate and optimize their content for social and digital success. The algorithm has been built using:
- Technology: Unruly Analytics™, which tracks 5,000 brands in real time and offers 15 billion customizable data points, and the Unruly Viral Video Chart™, which has been collating video sharing data since 2006 and now stores social data from over 2 trillion video views;
- Academic research: Collaboration with leading academics, particularly Dr Karen Nelson-Field, of the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute for Marketing Science in Australia, on the key variables that drive video sharing;
- Consumer data: Analysis of hundreds of thousands of consumer panel responses in France, measuring their emotional reactions and the sociographic motivations to share video content.
With Nielsen finding that 92% of consumers trust peer recommendations (Global Trust in Advertising Survey) and research from McKinsey stating that “a high-impact recommendation from a trusted friend conveying a relevant message is up to 50 times more likely to trigger a purchase than a low recommendation”, Unruly ShareRank is a vital indicator of sales as well as word-of-mouth potential.
For more information about Unruly ShareRank, click here.
UNRULY, UNRULY SHARERANK, UNRULY ACTIVATE, UNRULY VIRAL VIDEO CHART and logos and associated marks are trademarks of Unruly Group. Other marks are owned by their respective owners.
Unruly is the ad tech company that gets videos watched, tracked and shared across the Open Web. Positioned at the intersect of video, social, native & mobile, Unruly uses emotional audience data and user-friendly video formats to massively increase viewer engagement, brand performance & publisher revenues.
With 3 out of every 4 video views now taking place outside of YouTube, 84% of Ad Age 100 brands already trust Unruly to connect with audiences at speed and scale across the Open Web.
Differentiated by a unique data set of 2 trillion video views and powered by a full tech stack, Unruly adds value by algorithmically evaluating content shareability and programmatically targeting custom audiences. Viewability is 100% guaranteed to an audience of 1.36 billion monthly unique users across mobile, tablet and desktop devices. UnrulyX is the first supply side platform (SSP) for mobile video to offer scaled delivery of native ad formats and guarantee the viewability of premium video impressions bought via RTB.
Unruly employs 200 people across 15 offices, with regional HQs in London, New York and Singapore. Its super power is emotional ad tech. Its secret weapon is passionate people on a mission to #DeliverWow.