17.9% Of Internet Users Account For More Than 80% Of Video Shares, Says Unruly
New report highlights video sharing patterns across the globe
Thursday, November 13, 2014: Almost one in five (17.9%) internet users share videos with their social networks more than once a week. That’s according to a new report published today by marketing technology company Unruly, which found that these “super-sharers” account for 82.4% of all video shares.
Unruly’s Geography of Sharing Report, which identifies key online video sharing trends from around the world, suggests that advertisers looking to drive more earned media should target these consumers.
The report also shows that the video ecosystem is fragmented. While the majority of video shares (59.4%) worldwide take place on Facebook, viewers share across a multitude of platforms, including Twitter (13.8%), Google+ (9.3%), Tumblr (5.7%) and Pinterest (3.9%). The report also shows that over three-quarters of video views take place outside of YouTube.
Other highlights from the report include:
- The speed of social diffusion varies greatly by country. South Koreans are the fastest sharers, with 20% of shares occurring within the first 24 hours of launch;
- Video viewers in South Korea (28%) are also more likely to click, replay or share an ad than any other territories worldwide (source: Unruly Activate™);
- Happiness is the most effective emotional trigger for global campaigns, whereas social motivations are more culturally dependent;
- Viewers in Germany are more likely to watch an ad to the end. 79% of Germans who watched an ad stayed till the final frame. The UK was in second place with 77% (source: Unruly Activate™).
Olly Smith, EMEA MD at Unruly, said: “Using the right mix of emotional and social triggers, social video campaigns can cross geographical and linguistic borders and be used to kick-start global conversations. However, local activation is the key to success and this is where data-driven insight, revealing the subtle differences in sharing habits by market and by demographic, can propel campaigns to global success and protect brands from making a cultural faux pas.”
He added: “Our data shows that for brands wanting to extend their audience reach and maximise earned media on their digital video campaigns, targeting super-sharers across a broad range of platforms greatly increases their chances of success.”
To download the full report, click here.
Data from the report derives from:
- The Unruly Viral Video Chart™, which has tracked more than 521 billion video views since 2006;
- Unruly Analytics™, a cloud-hosted platform which tracks 3,100 brands across Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and the blogosphere;
- Unruly ShareRank, an algorithm containing 250,000+ panel-based consumer data points;
- Unruly Activate, programmatic video distribution platform which allows advertisers to engage 1.27 billion people across the Open Web.
Territories included in the report are: Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Japan, Norway, South East Asia, Sweden, South Korea, UK and the US.
UNRULY, UNRULY SHARERANK, UNRULY ANALYTICS, UNRULY VIRAL VIDEO CHART, UNRULY ACTIVATE and associated logos, designs and other marks are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Unruly Group Limited in the United Kingdom and elsewhere. Other trademarks are owned by their respective owners.
We are Unruly
Marketing technology company Unruly is the leading programmatic platform for social video advertising. With 3 out of every 4 video views now taking place outside of YouTube, 83% of Ad Age 100 brands use Unruly’s proprietary technology to reach and engage super-sharers across the Open Web. We’ve delivered 4.69 billion views across 9,200+ campaigns to a global audience of 1.27 billion monthly unique users. Our super power is our predictive tech and unique data. Our secret weapon is passionate people on a mission to #DeliverWow.
Founded in 2006, Unruly employs 160 people across 13 offices in 10 countries, with regional HQs in London, New York and Singapore. As a high-growth company, we are always seeking awesome new Unrulies to join our international teams. As well as a number of accolades recognizing our technical innovation and product excellence (Digiday, Sunday Times, Braves), the company has won ‘Best Companies to Work For’ (Sunday Times), ‘Best Digital Ad Ops Team’ (AOP) and has been named as the UK’s #2 Fastest Growing Tech Company (Deloitte).
Powered by a unique data set comprising 521 billion video views and analyzing 24 million shares per day, Unruly’s technology enables advertisers to algorithmically predict content shareability and programmatically target super-sharers across In-Page, In-Feed and In-Stream ad formats, with guaranteed viewability, shareability and brand safety across desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
To find out more, visit www.unruly2018.staging.wpengine.com