On Friday 14th of May, Unruly joined Unilever in supporting those in need by participating in the annual United For America campaign. In this blog post, Unruly’s VP Global Client Partner, Nigel Ashton discusses the importance of social good marketing and how brands can leverage the growing trend of social good marketing and elevate the success of campaigns.
What is Social Good Marketing?
A social good campaign combines advertising a product and driving social action, a bigger idea, or simply a reaction to a relevant topic. Examples include, responding to a political or environmental situation, showing support for a cause and initiating movements that provide aid and support for a cause.
What can Social Good Marketing do for Brands?
Aligning your brand’s marketing efforts with a bigger purpose brings many benefits.
- A company that sees beyond profit and focuses on doing good often becomes more attractive to consumers and enhances its positive branding;
- Effective social good marketing communicates a purpose and elicits positive emotional responses to ads which have been proven to drive superior performance;
- Brands that create successful social good campaigns are better able to develop trusted relationships by giving them more chances to support causes they believe in;
- Marketing campaigns with a sense of purpose are often the most successful in engaging younger demographics;
- Social good marketing provides brands with an opportunity to keep up with trends in social movement and increase relevance during highly emotive times.
Getting It Right
While brand activism is a growing trend , social good and purpose-driven campaigns require careful consideration and planning. It is vital for brands to embrace the good causes they align themselves to with sensitivity and messaging that is relatable.
Effective social good marketing is not about jumping on the bandwagon by following the news and saying your company supports popular causes. There must be an authentic, tangible connection between brand values, messaging and action. Even if there’s no prior connection, it’s important to believe in the cause that you’re about to support in a way that more consumers will be convinced to support your brand.
Whether you’re looking to make your first foray into social good marketing, or you’re a seasoned campaigner, content testing tools such as UnrulyEQ you can discover the full emotional and brand impact of your ads to find out which moments are working the hardest — all before your ad is distributed.