- News Corp-owned video ad tech company moves into new offices in New Delhi and Mumbai offering both managed service and programmatic distribution for brands and agencies
- Unruly’s mobile ad formats help advertisers connect more effectively and authentically with audiences across India
NEW DELHI, MUMBAI – Tuesday, October 11, 2016 – Video ad tech company Unruly today continues its rapid global growth by expanding into India.
The company, which helps brands get their videos seen, shared and loved across the open web and employs 300 people across 20 locations worldwide, has moved into Dow Jones’s offices in New Delhi and Mumbai. Unruly, acquired by News Corp last year, has run video campaigns in India since 2007, delivering over 130 video campaigns to date for brands such as Diageo, Intel and Unilever remotely from its offices in Europe and Singapore.
The new offices will mean brands and agencies across India will now have greater access to Unruly’s unique data sets, polite ad formats and premium media titles, including The Wall Street Journal, News18 and India.com. The move marks the video tech platform’s continuing investment into the APAC region, which is predicted to overtake the US as the world’s largest digital ad market by 2018 (source: emarketer).
Digital ad spend is rising rapidly in India, predicted to surpass $1bn by the end of next year and more than double by 2020 (source: eMarketer). Fuelling this rapid rise in digital ad spend across the country is India’s explosive growth in mobile usage, with India recently overtaking the US to become the second-largest smartphone market in the world (source: UN), and a huge appetite among Indian consumers for digital ads.
According to a recent Unruly survey, Indian consumers like ads more than any other consumers in the world, with 62% of viewers saying they like seeing ads for relevant products and services compared with the global average of 28%.
Unruly’s Chief Commercial Officer, APAC, Phil Townend, said: “India is the next frontier in digital advertising growth. Unruly is perfectly placed to help Indian advertisers as they begin to shift ad dollars away from traditional channels and into digital. Our evidence-based approach to video content testing and amplification minimises risk and increases certainty for leading advertisers in the Indian market. Our mobile formats, distributed through our viewable video SSP UnrulyX, also help advertisers connect more authentically, intimately and effectively with audiences across India.”
Vijay Kunduri, Unruly’s Commercial Director for ASEAN and India, who is leading the launch, added: “We’ve been laying the ground for this full launch for well over a year, making sure that all of our tools, services and products have been customised specifically for the Indian market. Unruly’s unique end-to-end video content marketing and distribution solution fills a much-needed gap in the market.”
The Unruly Future Video Survey also found that while Indian audiences are very receptive to online video ads, user experience and control are key factors. Findings include:
- Indian viewers want to be control of video ads more than the average global viewer. 71% of Indian consumers say they want to be able to control when the ad starts to play and close it whenever they want. The global average is 62%;
- 83% of Indian consumers would consider using ad blocking software. The most common reasons why they would block ads are because they think there are too many ads (53%) and because they are sick of seeing the same ad over and over again (52%).
Unruly’s extensive product set includes UnrulyX™, the first supply side platform (SSP) to offer scaled delivery of native ad formats and guarantee the viewability of premium video impressions bought via RTB – at massive scale, with the utmost safety. Formats include:
- Unruly In-Article: A high-impact, user-friendly video ad format which creates new video ad inventory within article pages in premium media environments;
- Unruly In-Stream: A skippable pre-roll format, which puts the viewer in control and gives advertisers cost-efficient reach at speed and scale;
- Unruly In-Feed™: The first ad format to deliver native video ads at scale across mobile newsfeeds;
- Unruly In-Page: A click-to-play, user-initiated format which maximises viewer engagement.
Kunduri added: “Unruly uses polite outstream formats to engage, not enrage consumers. This is particularly vital in a market where the vast majority of viewers want to be in control of ads and the majority of people are watching ads on their mobiles.”
Unruly’s brand, agency and publisher partners are protected by Unruly Shield, the suite of technologies and the set of practices that are provided to all advertisers who run campaigns with Unruly. It combines in-house technology, third-party integrations, industry certification and daily quality assurance – all coordinated by our Digital Brand Safety team – to protect the ads we place on the open web and open exchanges.
UNRULY, UNRULY ACTIVATE and UNRULYX and logos and associated marks are trademarks of Unruly Group. Other marks are owned by their respective owners.
Unruly gets videos seen, shared and loved across the open web for brands that want to move people, not just reach people.By bringing emotional intelligence to digital advertising, we help 91% of Ad Age 100 brands inform and inspire 1.44bn people around the world, using polite outstream formats on sites that people love. UnrulyX, the viewable video SSP, creates better ad experiences for consumers, improved brand outcomes for advertisers and increased revenues for top-flight publishers.
Emotion matters in marketing. Emotion creates values and sets preferences. Inspires action. Drives sales. Unruly has a decade’s data of consumer responses to video and uses that to hone content, model audiences and deploy ad dollars in ways that heighten emotional response and maximise brand impact. Unruly was founded in 2006 and acquired by News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) in 2015. With 300 Unrulies across 20 locations worldwide, our super power is emotional intelligence and our secret weapon is passionate people on a mission to #DeliverWow.