Unruly Expands Vertical Video Format Into German Ad Market
- New outstream video ad unit allows German advertisers to unlock the power of mobile video and maximise viewer attention
HAMBURG – Video ad tech company Unruly today announces it is launching a new vertical video ad format for the German market.
The new outstream video unit – which can be bought in Germany programmatically or via Unruly’s sales team from mid-September – can be distributed across the Open Web, allowing advertisers to unlock the power of mobile video.
Mobile is increasingly the device of choice for consumers watching video online, with 45% of all global digital video views now taking place on mobile (source: eMarketer) and a quarter of global consumers watching more than 10 videos a week on their phones (source: Unruly Mobile Video Survey).
Unruly’s new ad unit, compatible with both iOS and Android device, displays ads the same way viewers consume videos on their mobile devices.
Recent research has found that a third (29%) of videos are viewed vertically (Mary Meeker Internet Trends), while according to the Unruly Mobile Video Survey:
- 53% of consumers and 57% of Millennials find turning their phone horizontally to watch their video in full screen annoying;
- 34% of consumers and 43% of Millennials always or often use rotation lock to lock their phones to vertical mode;
- 74% of people say they stop watching a video ad when the sound plays automatically.
Key benefits for advertisers
- The format inserts advertisers’ vertical video content into contextually relevant articles, maximizing attention;
- The format only begins to play when the video is in-view, and can be shared or scrolled past at any time, giving users ultimate control;
- The format loads after the editorial content and only plays sound when the viewer has actively activated sound using in-board controls;
- The mobile web format guarantees video views are viewable, as defined by the Media Ratings Council (MRC).
To help brands create best-in-class content for this emerging format, Unruly today also announces the launch of the Vertical Video Collective – a network of mobile-first content creators specialising in creating video for vertical viewing.
Martin Draeger, Exec Director at Unruly Germany, said: “The landscape is changing fast and our vertical format will help brands connect more authentically, intimately and effectively with mobile audiences. The Vertical Video Collective, also launching today, will give brands access to some of the freshest video makers, creating content that’s engineered to succeed in a mobile viewing environment.”
Unruly’s vertical video format is also available in the UK and the US. You can see a demo of the format here and download the Unruly Mobile Video Survey findings here.
We are Unruly!
Unruly gets videos seen, shared and loved across the open web for brands that want to move people, not just reach people.
By bringing emotional intelligence to digital advertising, we help 91% of Ad Age 100 brands inform and inspire 1.44bn people around the world, using polite outstream formats on sites that people love. UnrulyX, the viewable video SSP, creates better ad experiences for consumers, improved brand outcomes for advertisers and increased revenues for top-flight publishers.
Emotion matters in marketing. Emotion creates values and sets preferences. Inspires action. Drives sales. Unruly has a decade’s data of consumer responses to video and uses that to hone content, model audiences and deploy ad dollars in ways that heighten emotional response and maximise brand impact.
Unruly was founded in 2006 and acquired by News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) in 2015. With 300 Unrulies across 20 locations worldwide, our super power is emotional intelligence and our secret weapon is passionate people on a mission to #DeliverWow.