Video Ad Tech Company Unruly Opens New Office In Australia
Leading programmatic platform for social video advertising continues APAC expansion to help advertisers reach and engage consumers across the Open Web
April 15, 2015 – Video ad tech company Unruly today continues its rapid growth into the APAC region by opening a new office in Sydney, Australia.
Unruly, which already works with 84% of Ad Age 100 brands to help get their videos shared and viewed online, is expanding its operations Down Under to help ROI-driven marketers benefit from its unique audience data, native video ad formats and mobile video exchange UnrulyX™.
The move marks the tech firm’s continuing investment in the APAC region, following the opening of its APAC HQ in Singapore last April. Unruly’s social video solutions have been established in Australia since 2008, with hundreds of campaigns delivered for companies such as Unilever and Diageo remotely from its offices in Europe, Singapore and North America. Unruly’s products include Unruly ShareRank, an algorithmic tool which evaluates, improves and predicts the viral potential of video ads.
The Sydney office is the latest to be opened by Unruly since the company was founded in 2006. The video ad tech company, headquartered in London, also has offices in New York, Hamburg, San Francisco, Paris and Dubai.
The new team, located in Surry Hills, will be headed up by the company’s former Nordics MD, Lance Traore. He said: “We’re excited to be here and believe that our mobile-first approach towards native video advertising will be especially valuable to brands in the Australian market, which has a shortage of premium video inventory.
“Unruly’s full tech stack for social video advertising helps brands to create a direct link between content and distribution, evaluating content quality and using the data to optimise for engagement metrics that are simply not available on current demand side platforms.
“With video engagement rates higher than the global average across the hundreds of campaigns we have ran in Australia and 83.4% of Australians now owning mobile phones (source: eMarketer), we know all too well the huge social video opportunity there is for brands looking to engage viewers at speed and scale.”
Video stats from the region include:
- Facebook is the top platform for sharing video ads across Australia, with 42.6% of shares occurring on the social network, which is slightly lower than the global average of 49.5%;
- While Twitter is the second most popular video sharing platform globally, attracting 11.8% of video shares, it’s only the fourth most popular in Australia (10.1%). Google+ is the second most popular Down Under, accounting for 10.4% of video shares (global average: 10.1%). Tumblr is the third, attracting 10.2% of video shares in Australia, which is slightly higher than the global average of 8.8%;
- Australian viewers are also more likely to share video ads on email (6.3%), StumbleUpon (5.2%), Reddit (5.4%), Pinterest (8.5%) than the global average;
- Just over a quarter (27.0%) of online video views in Australia occur on YouTube – slightly higher than the global average of 22.6% (source: comScore);
- The average clickthrough and interaction rates for Unruly video campaigns in Australia are 6.5% and 9.3% respectively – also higher than the respective global averages of 4.8% and 8.2%;
- Melbourne Metro’s PSA “Dumb Ways To Die” is the 3rd most shared ad of all time after attracting 4.88 million shares since it was launched in November 2012.
Phil Townend, Unruly’s APAC MD, said: “Unruly’s product set offers an advanced video solution to marketers looking beyond YouTube and towards the Open Web, where around 3 in 4 video views are now taking place in Australia. We provide a data-driven approach to online video content and programmatic distribution that is both repeatable and scalable.
“Our full tech stack has been engineered for social video and brands can optimise for engagement metrics, including completion rates, interaction rates and shares.”
Unruly’s key products include:
- Unruly Activate™: Leading programmatic video platform, powered by UnrulyX, the first supply side platform (SSP) to offer scaled delivery of native ad formats and guarantee the viewability of premium video impressions bought via RTB – at massive scale, with the utmost safety. Formats include:
- Unruly In-Stream™: A skippable pre-roll format, which puts the viewer in control and gives advertisers cost-efficient reach at speed and scale;
- Unruly In-Feed™: The first viewability-initiated ad format to deliver native video ads at scale across mobile newsfeeds;
- Unruly In-Page™: A click-to-play, user-initiated format which maximises viewer engagement.
- Unruly ShareRank™: Allows advertisers to maximize the social impact of their video content by evaluating, improving and predicting the viral potential of video ads.
To speak to someone at Unruly’s new Australian office, email [email protected].
UNRULY, UNRULY ACTIVATE, UNRULYX, UNRULY SHARERANK and associated logos, designs and other marks are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Unruly Group Limited in the United Kingdom, the United States of America and elsewhere. Other trademarks are owned by their respective owners.
Video ad tech company Unruly is the leading programmatic platform for social video advertising, powered by UnrulyX, the first supply side platform (SSP) for mobile video to offer scaled delivery of native ad formats and guarantee the viewability of premium video impressions bought via RTB.
With 3 out of every 4 video views now taking place outside of YouTube, 84% of Ad Age 100 brands trust Unruly’s proprietary video stack to reach and engage custom audiences at speed and scale across the Open Web.
Differentiated by a unique data set comprising 1.3 trillion video views and analyzing 116 million shares per day, Unruly algorithmically predicts content shareability and programmatically targets custom audiences across video, mobile and native ad formats, with guaranteed viewability and brand safety across mobile, tablet and desktop devices to an audience of 1.27 billion monthly unique users.
Unruly employs 190 people across 15 offices in 12 countries, with regional HQs in London, New York and Singapore. As well as a number of accolades recognizing its technical innovation and product quality (Digiday, Sunday Times, Braves), the company has won ‘Best Companies to Work For’ (Sunday Times), ‘Best Digital Ad Ops Team’ (AOP) and has been named as the UK’s #2 Fastest Growing Tech Company (Deloitte).