Brands Account For 40% Of The Top 1,000 Most Shared Instagram Videos, Reports Unruly
Marketing technology company launches new product set for brands looking to extend their 15 seconds of fame across the Open Web. SAN FRANCISCO, NEW YORK, LONDON, – October 23, 2013 – Forty per cent of the 1,000 most shared Instagram videos last month came from brands, according to new data released today by marketing technology company Unruly.
The social video marketing platform found that more than 80 different brands – including Samsung, Nike, BMW, Disney, General Electric and Red Bull – feature on the Unruly Viral Video Chart’s top 1,000 Instagram videos, despite the Facebook-owned mobile app only adding video functionality in June.
Other key findings from Unruly’s data* include:
- The most shared brand on Instagram Video was MTV, with 84 videos in the top 1,000, attracting a total of 134,110 shares altogether across Facebook, Twitter and the blogosphere. Other brands to appear in the top 5 were the NBA, Peanuts and GoPro;
- The most popular verticals in the top 1,000 were Entertainment and Clothing & Apparel;
- Peanuts’ Snoopygram (26,962) was the most shared branded video on Instagram, followed by EA Sport’s FIFA 14 real-time spot (16,499) and a promo for HBO’s popular TV show Girls (15,376);
- The total number of unique Instagram videos shared on Twitter was 176,016 which is equivalent to 10% of the unique YouTube videos shared on Twitter during the same period (1,871,530);
- 9 out of 10 Instagram video shares occurred on Facebook;
- 14 of the top 20 most shared user-generated Instagram videos came from Justin Bieber, with his top three videos generating a total of 522,029 shares.
Interest in short-form video content has grown significantly in 2013 following the launch of Vine and video for Instagram. Instagram now boasts 150 million active users (source: Instagram
), while six-second sensation Vine has gone from zero to 40 million registered users in just over 9 months (source: Vine
Brands and agencies looking to to make the most of this surge in activity around short-form video content now have the chance to amplify, optimize and analyze the success of their campaigns across the social web using Unruly’s end-to-end social video product set for Instagram, which launches today.
It means advertisers will be able to create content on Instagram and evaluate Instagram videos for shareability and effectiveness using Unruly’s ShareRank™ algorithm; they’ll also be able to distribute Instagram videos to a global audience of one billion users across the Open Web and benchmark the social footprint of their Instagram videos against their competitive set.
“New short-form content platforms such as Vine and Instagram are experiencing explosive growth. By engaging consumers in their native environments across today’s complex and fragmented media landscape, and utilizing the Open Web to amplify awareness of their content, brands can maximize the effectiveness of their content marketing strategies to drive sharing and ultimately increase their market share,” said Phil Townend, MD EMEA at Unruly.
“It’s remarkable that within just five months of launch, Instagram videos now account for almost 10% as many tweets as YouTube videos do. Smart marketers are no longer measuring success based on a YouTube view count and advertisers understand that it’s people first, platform second,” he concluded.
Unruly’s new product set for Instagram means brands and agencies can now:
- Create Instagram videos – Unruly is building a network of experts in Instagram content creation who can partner with brands to create Instagram videos and re-purpose their longer-form videos;
- Evaluate Instagram videos – Advertisers can use Unruly ShareRank to test the ‘shareability’ of their Instagrams pre and post launch;
- Distribute Instagram videos – Unruly has launched an Instagram app and an Instagram Social Video Player so that advertisers can now distribute their Instagram videos across the Open Web to Unruly’s audience of 1 billion global unique users;
- Optimize Instagram videos – Brands can optimize their Instagram video campaign performance by using Unruly’s Dynamic Creative Optimization technology to automatically display the best-performing Instagram by campaign KPI;
- Measure Instagram videos – Brands can track the social success of their Instagram creatives and compare it to other Instagram and video creatives in seconds using Unruly Analytics™.
“Short-form content has evolved rapidly as more and more people are creating and sharing content on their mobile devices. With mobile engagement rocketing by 265.7%
over the past 12 months, brands have been quick to establish themselves on Vine and Instagram. Some brands are already taking highly shareable content created on these platforms and distributing it to wherever their target audience is discovering and enjoying content,” said Matt Cooke, co-founder and CTO at Unruly.
“Our social video player drives exceptional engagement and sharing levels to drive earned media outside on a brand’s owned channels across desktop, mobile and tablet devices and I’m pleased that brands can now partner with Unruly to turbo-charge the success of their Instagram videos.”
*Data was collected from September 9, 2013 to October 9, 2013. Data points were collected using Unruly Analytics™
and the Unruly Viral Video Chart™
and includes shares on Facebook, Twitter and the blogosphere. Stats do not include likes and comments from within the Instagram app itself.
UNRULY, UNRULY SHARERANK, UNRULY VIRAL VIDEO CHART and logos and associated marks are trademarks of Unruly Group. Other marks are owned by their respective owners.
Marketing technology company Unruly the leading global platform for social video marketing and works with top brands and their agencies to get their videos watched, tracked and shared across the Open Web. Our programmatic video platform reaches and engages the half of the global Internet population who are watching and sharing videos outside of YouTube.
Our end-to-end solution cracks the code on social video sharing. Advertisers can predict earned media with proprietary algorithm Unruly ShareRank. They can engage 1.17 billion people across the Open Web with Unruly Activate (comScore Feb 2014), the leading social video distribution platform. And prove ROI with Unruly Analytics, a cloud-based dashboard providing real-time competitive benchmarks across 6 billion customizable data points.
The product set is powered by the Unruly Viral Video Chart, a unique data set covering 430 billion video views and tracking 24 million shares per day. Engaging audiences across the full range of mobile, tablet and second screen devices, Unruly Activate has delivered, tracked and audited 4.27 billion video views across 3,600+ social video campaigns for over 650 brands, including Volkswagen, Dove, Coca-Cola, T-Mobile, Microsoft, Warner Bros and adidas. We’ve worked with 65% of Ad Age Global 100 brands and our mission is to deliver the most awesome social video advertising campaigns on the planet.
Founded in 2006, Unruly has 12 offices and employs 150 people globally. In 2012, Unruly secured a $25 million Series A investment led by Amadeus, Van den Ende & Deitmers and Business Growth Fund. The company has won 26 awards, including ‘Best Content Distribution Platform’ at the Braves Awards; ‘Digital Innovator of the Year’ at the Sunday Times Hiscox Tech Track 100; ‘International Management Team of the Year’ at the BVCA Awards 2013 and #14 on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA. Unruly has been selected by Tech City as a Future Fifty Company. To find out more visit www.unrulymedia.com.