Site Reliability Engineer – London
WANTED: An SRE to join our extreme programming team; someone who prides themselves on their ability to share their knowledge and instil a site reliability mindset across the whole team! You’ll be as happy working on application features as you are working on infrastructure. You will pair-program with developers or SREs to build systems that are easy to understand & diagnose, fail in predictable and safe ways, with appropriate telemetry and alerting. You will provide an expert voice in team discussions and be an infrastructure and operations stakeholder. You’ll be comfortable explaining the SRE way of thinking to teams as well as getting involved in planning and architecture with the teams. In this role you will work with a wide range of technologies from infrastructure management code, to application code, through to data stores and networks. You’ll help the whole team embed observability and reliability into everything we build.
Reports to: Team Lead, Product Development
Location: East London
Employment Type: Permanent
Working Hours: Monday to Friday – flexible working hours! 7.5 hours per day with Core Hours 10.00am – 4.30pm
Salary: Highly Competitive
Benefits: Private health cover, iPhone or Android phone, Cycle to Work scheme, childcare vouchers, season ticket loan, laptop allowance, conference attendance allowance.
About the Role: Mission & Key Relationships
- Build and run operable, observable, scalable, and secure systems as part of a product development team.
- Product Development team
- Fellow SREs
- ProDev Leadership Team
About You: Experience
You must have:
- Prior experience in a relevant role (e.g. SRE, Systems Development, Operations)
- Worked on a project in collaboration with application developers and/or infrastructure engineers.
- Worked with cloud solutions (We use AWS).
- Experience with one of the following
- Designing systems with reliability appropriate to business needs (e.g. SLA, SLO, SLI)
- Approaches to monitoring and alerting .
- Infrastructure automation & configuration management.
- Database Reliability Engineering
- Distributed systems design
- Deployment strategies (e.g. Blue / Green, Canary, A/B)
About You: Skills
You must be:
- Able to code in at least one programming language (scripting is fine)
Competent in at least two of:
- Web technologies – HTTP, Web Servers, CDNs, DNS.
- Distributed systems design and fault tolerance (We run an ad-exchange).
- SQL and NoSQL Databases (We use Postgres, Cassandra, Redis on AWS).
- Monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Nagios, Monit, Graphite, Grafana.
- Automation tools (We use Terraform, Puppet, Packer).
- Able share knowledge and expertise as presentation or training.
- Networks and DNS.
- Firewall implementations using iptables and other technologies.
About You: Behaviour
You must be:
- Sociable – happy to pair-program daily
- Flexible – able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities
- Patient – able to collaborate with people with different levels of experience
- A team player – share code ownership and work as part of the SRE home-team or embedded in one of the other product teams.
- Passionate – interested in the latest technologies and trends
- Confident – able to clearly express your ideas in discussions
The WOW Factor
We’d love it if you have:
- Understanding of programmatic ad tech.
- Held an SRE title before.
- Worked in an extreme programming team/continuous delivery environment.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring developers.
- The ability to see how everything fits into the bigger picture.
- Spoken at or attended DevOps/SRE conferences.
- Hold any DevOps certifications or have attended courses.
Send an email with CV attached and your name and “Site Reliability Engineer” in the subject line to [email protected]. Please specify your availability to commence the role and don’t forget to tell us where you heard about the role! All applicants must be authorised to work in the UK.
We love reviewing all the applications we receive, but unfortunately we’re not able to get back to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in touch!