Product Development Team Lead – London
WANTED: A product development team lead, enthusiastic about delivering sustainable value to our customers as quickly as possible.
You will be responsible for ensuring the development team is frequently delivering high quality products using Agile and Lean Startup philosophies to best effect. You will be able to balance the needs and perspectives within a multi-disciplinary team. You will also represent the team in cross-team discussions, working with other team leads.
We use TDD, pair programming, continuous delivery, collective ownership and close collaboration to build products that get videos seen, shared and loved across the open web for brands that want to move people, not just reach people.
We want people who currently excel, but who also want to learn, refine and change, at both the individual and team level. You don’t need an advertising background, but you do need to be willing to learn. You also need to be willing to take responsibility, for yourself and your team.
Reports to: VP, Architecture.
Direct reports: Product Development Team (Typically 4 to 10 people)
Location: London (London, UK)
Employment Type: Permanent
Working Hours: 7.5 hours per day with Core Hours 10-4.30
Salary: Highly competitive
Benefits: Conference attendance allowance, private health cover, iPhone or Android phone, Cycle to Work scheme, season ticket loan, laptop allowance.
About the Role: Mission
Your mission will be to:
- Sustainably build out a range of platforms that support innovative delivery of programmatic video advertising
- Develop and grow an environment where your team can flourish
About the Role: Key Relationships
- VP Architecture
- SVP Product
- Product managers & Product directors
- Other Product Development teams
- Stakeholders including Sales, Marketing, Design across global territories in Singapore, Germany, London, New York
About You: Experience
You must have:
- Experience in successfully leading a development team, large or small or managing and directing the delivery of software through development teams.
- Strong people management skills. Willingness and ability to support people’s career development and act as a coach and mentor for team members
- Managing and prioritising multiple streams of work to ensure a team’s products remain fit now and for the future.
- Experience working cooperatively with a variety of teams and stakeholders.
- Demonstrable interest in product strategy with an interest in product market fit and creating real value.
- Examples of where you have a taken a ‘Lean’ approach to new product development, optimising decisions and stories towards getting faster feedback.
- Provided ideas on how technical vision and architecture can be improved to better support the product vision. (And vice versa!)
- Experience of supporting products and features once they are in production, or be keen to work in an environment where development teams embrace this approach.
- A good understanding or willingness to learn XP development practices including pair programming, shared code ownership, test driven development and continuous integration and what their benefits are.
- Demonstrated interest in the latest web and development technologies particularly in the area your team would be focussed on. This is likely to include experience in cloud computing systems, high scale & high availability systems, approaches to API development and system monitoring.
- Enough experience in software development to understand that it’s usually better to improve existing code than start from scratch – even if you didn’t write the existing code.
About You: Skills
You must be:
- Extremely organised, with strong time management and an inclination to address challenges proactively.
- Someone who likes to get things done and sees things through from start to finish
- Someone with a high level of ownership and accountability. You don’t wait to be told to do something.
- A swift decision maker, able to confidently deliver quality in a rapidly growing and changing business.
- A proactive communicator able to translate technical information to non-technical people and commercial information to technical people.
- Someone who likes to understand how things tick, from business models to technical architectures – not the kind of person who brushes over the details!
- Able to run effective meetings with developers, customers and other business stakeholders
About You: Behaviour
You must be:
- Pragmatic – able to gather and balance a rage of needs and optimising for the whole.
- Responsive – able to pick up on concerns or misunderstandings of team members or other stakeholders and proactively address them.
- Collaborative – happy to work in a continuous build/delivery environment and work closely with other teams.
- Supportive – able to help others and involve yourself where required and facilitate team development, ensuring the team remains cross skilled, building and owning its own services and infrastructure as required.
- Flexible – able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities.
- Positive – you come with a can do attitude & solutions orientated mindset
- Passionate – interested in the latest web technologies and trends.
- Calm under pressure – able to approach situations and lead them to resolution.
The WOW factor!
We’d love it if you:
- Have a background in programmatic AdTech, Real Time Bidding systems (RTB) and IAB video formats such as VAST and VPAID.
- Have an amazing ability to make people from other teams feel included and brought into the direction and decisions.
- Founded a tech startup or lead on an exciting new product idea inside a larger company.
- Are very familiar with domain modelling and high availability distributed system design.
- Astound us with your knowledge of lean and agile development techniques and proven ability to simplify the complex.
- Have a fantastic record of mentoring developers in agile development techniques.
- Have experience growing a team – whether that be finding great candidates or helping set up the development tools and process.
Send an email containing your CV with your name and in the subject line to [email protected] Don’t forget to tell us where you heard about the role! All applicants must be legally entitled to work in the UK.