Software Development Team Lead – London
WANTED: A Software Development Team Lead to join a group using cutting edge technology to reach a global audience of 1.2 billion. We use a dynamic XP environment, continuous delivery, and a great startup culture to drive us forwards, and we never stop learning.
What you will be doing:
You will lead a talented team of full-stack developers using TDD, pair programming, Agile and Lean Startup philosophies. You will be hands-on with the code, and you will ensure that the team work seamlessly with the product managers and each other. You will have the support of a dedicated team of coaches, and a great peer group of team leads, sharing successes and facing challenges together. You will also have a keen interest in our customer experience, and be able to convey the business impact of each piece of work to your team.
Located where Brick Lane meets Shoreditch and the City, Unruly is a Company built by developers. We learn together, and we teach each other through pairing, tech talks, 20% time, and conferences – assisted by a generous personal development allowance. We have a lot of fun, our developers are our biggest cheerleaders, and they stick around.
About the Role: Mission
Your mission will be to:
- Lead a team building out a range of platforms that support innovative delivery of programmatic video advertising
- Grow and sustain world class software product development teams
About the Role: Key Relationships
- SVP Software Development
- SVP Product
- Product managers & Product directors
- Other Product Development teams
- Stakeholders including Sales, Marketing, Design across global territories from Singapore to LA with Germany, London, New York, Chicago and San Francisco in between
About You: Experience
We are looking for:
- Experience working cooperatively with both teams and stakeholders.
- Examples of where you have a taken a ‘Lean’ approach to new product development, optimising decisions and stories towards getting faster feedback.
- Provided ideas on how technical vision and architecture can be improved to better support the product vision. (And vice versa!)
- Experience of supporting products and features once they are in production, or be keen to work in an environment where development teams embrace this approach.
- A good understanding of XP development practices including pair programming, shared code ownership, test driven development and continuous integration
- Demonstrated interest in the latest web and development technologies This is likely to include experience in cloud computing systems, high scale & high availability systems, approaches to API development and system monitoring.
- Enough experience in software development to understand that it’s usually better to improve existing code than start from scratch – even if you didn’t write the existing code.
About You: Skills
- Extremely organised, with strong time management and an inclination to address challenges proactively.
- A swift decision maker, able to deliver quality in a rapidly growing and changing business.
- A proactive communicator able to translate technical information to non-technical people.
- Able to run effective meetings with developers, and others, as needed.
- Open to pair programming, able to ensure design principles are followed and appropriate tests are in place, delivering results that are collectively owned.
About You: Behaviour
- Responsive – able to pick up on concerns or misunderstandings of team members or other stakeholders and proactively address them.
- Collaborative – happy to work in a continuous build/delivery environment and work closely with other teams.
- Supportive – able to help others and involve yourself where required and facilitate team development, ensuring the team remains cross skilled, building and owning its own services and infrastructure as required.
- Flexible – able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities.
- Passionate – interested in the latest web technologies and trends.
- Calm under pressure – able to approach situations and lead them to resolution.
The WOW factor!
We’d love it if you:
- Have a background in programmatic AdTech, Real Time Bidding systems (RTB) and IAB video formats such as VAST and VPAID.
- Have an amazing ability to make people from other teams feel included and brought into the direction and decisions.
- Founded a tech startup or led on an exciting new product idea inside a larger company.
- Are very familiar with domain modelling and high availability distributed system design.
- Astound us with your knowledge of lean and agile development techniques and proven ability to simplify the complex.
- Have a fantastic record of mentoring other developers in agile development techniques and TDD.
- Have experience growing a team – whether that be finding great candidates or helping set up the development tools and process.
Send an email containing your CV with your name and in the subject line to email@example.com. Don’t forget to tell us where you heard about the role! All applicants must be legally entitled to work in the UK.