Lead global data strategy and our world class data team, including products, projects, tools, partnerships and audiences. Execute with flair against Unruly’s 2020 Data Vision, ensuring that we’re well on track for the duration of your role. Work with our executive and data teams, and News, to maintain buy-in to the vision at all times and refine it if needed.
WANTED: A dynamic data expert to lead Unruly’s data strategy and world-class data team, executing with flair against our 2020 Vision for the duration of this fixed term maternity cover. As our Global SVP Data, you will sit on Unruly’s Executive Team. You will be responsible for turbocharging, validating and iterating our first party data tools, partnerships, and infrastructure. You will need to define commercial frameworks and governance for data sharing with publishers, clients, and News Corp businesses. You will work with product development leaders to ensure our engineering roadmap supports data imperatives, while our data vision is consistent with product development plans. You’ll ensure all commercial and operations teams globally understand our data solutions, and are well supported by the data team at all times. You’ll also be responsible for ensuring GDPR compliance across the data group.
You’ll be a scrappy, pragmatic leader who gets stuff done fast, as well as an inspiring and nurturing manager, challenging your team to develop and removing roadblocks from their path while giving them autonomy and ownership. You will have a great track record of developing and executing market leading data strategies, and leading high performing teams. You’ll also be an entrepreneurial innovator, defining, trialling and rolling out initiatives for collaboration and skill development across the many data roles in our business that work within functional teams, i.e. outside the central data team. You will be an expert in applying data solutions in changing commercial contexts, with plenty of programmatic experience. You’ll have the knowledge to act as the key commercial stakeholder for the development of our KPI- and audience-based machine learning models, providing direction and feedback for our data scientists and engineers.
This fixed term maternity cover role will ideally run from March 2018 to January 2019 including handover time at the start and end. You will work closely with our SVP Data on a thorough handover to ensure minimum business disruption during her maternity leave. You won’t need to fix what’s not broken, but you will need to respond quickly and decisively to changing imperatives and new research in this dynamic market with its rapidly evolving technological landscape.
- Executive leadership team
- COO, Regional MDs, SVP Operations, SVP Product, SVP Engineering, SVP BD
- Data team: product, projects, programmatic, data science and engineering
- Insight team
- Functional data experts
- Data leads from News Corp, News UK and sister companies
YOUR MISSION: Lead global data strategy and our world class data team, including products, projects, tools, partnerships and audiences. Execute with flair against Unruly’s 2020 Data Vision, ensuring that we’re well on track for the duration of your role. Work with our executive and data teams, and News, to maintain buy-in to the vision at all times and refine it if needed.
Reports to: COO
Direct Reports: Projects Director, Data Products Lead, Programmatic Data Lead, Product Developer, Data Executives x 2
Location: East London
Employment Type: 10-11 month fixed term contract
Working Hours: Full time (9.30am to 6pm, Mon – Fri)
Salary: Highly competitive
Benefits: iPhone or Android phone and pension. We have many social events, summer and winter hours, daily deliveries of yummy breakfast treats, Friday drinks and snacks. Plus we spend way too much time watching and sharing the most awesome videos on the Web.
- Track record delivering market-leading data solutions and leading a high performing team
- Deep experience applying data solutions in changing commercial contexts
- Good knowledge of the programmatic data landscape and digital advertising, experience developing programmatic data initiatives
- NUMERATE: Strong quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills.
- LITERATE: Clear, consistent, persuasive and precise in internal and external communication.
- DECISIVE AND DELIVERY FOCUSED: Able to quickly form goals and aggressively execute.
- CREATIVE: Able to think outside the box when problem solving, keen to innovate and try things that haven’t been done before.
- KNOWLEDGEABLE: Have an intuitive understanding of data and are comfortable with large datasets, their opportunities and challenges. You know what machine learning is, and are familiar with GDPR.
- TECHNICAL: Have a good grasp of programmatic advertising architecture and data tools.
- ASTUTE: Have the ability to navigate many stakeholders in multiple organisations with different goals and agendas.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Confident innovating at speed, identifying and implementing new data initiatives to deliver our long term vision.
- NURTURING: Excellent at supporting a high-functioning team, removing roadblocks and challenging them to develop while giving them autonomy and ownership.
- COLLABORATIVE: Able to work effectively within fast-paced teams across multiple departments globally.
- ANALYTICAL: Highly analytical, and critical in your interrogation of data and its applications.
- ADAPTABLE: Able to deal confidently with a fast developing and complex industry.
- RESPECTED: A positive, inspirational leader.
- CALM: Not fazed by pressure.
- A SUPERB COMMUNICATOR: Able to build strong working relationships internally and externally, across teams and seniority.
Education and Qualifications: Honours degree from a leading University