Data Platform Developer – London
WANTED: A Data Platform Developer to join our extreme programming team! Someone who wants to do more than just code; we want a dreamer, a creator, someone who likes to discuss ideas and enjoys working with others to design and create great features and products. Someone who understands that “what you build” is just as important as “how you build it”. Someone who would love the chance to get involved in all aspects of product development, discussing product design, architecture as well as testing and coding, whilst working on market leading solutions in the modern advertising space. You must be happy talking with non-technical people, discussing ideas, doing pair programming and be keen to develop your skills in all areas of product development.
In this role you’ll work collaboratively with an experienced data platform team, and will work with a wide range of advanced data, web and cloud technologies. Our main technologies are AWS (EC2, S3, EMR and more), Spark (batch and streaming) – specifically PySpark but we’re open to other languages, Java and Python. You’ll develop your skills whilst applying them to real world problems. Our goal is to drive business data innovation which happens to involve a large amount of data – we ingest over 100 000 events a second and are working to increase this. Our work involves everything from architecture modelling, platform building and scaling & client reporting modelling and integration. We help the business record and process all events in our auction exchanges and advert interactions, and provide this data to the whole company, including Data Scientists, BI analysts and Operations. We are embarking on a rebuild of our current platform so it’s a great time to join us and be part of our journey into the world of extreme, real-time, data-processing!
Interested in Data but not sure if you’d like to try it out? We’d love to chat with you and show you what we do!
Reports to: Team Lead, Product Development
Location: East London
Employment Type: Permanent
Working Hours: Monday to Friday – flexible working hours! 7.5 hours per day with Core Hours 10.00am – 4.30pm
Salary: Highly Competitive
Benefits: Private health cover, iPhone or Android phone, Cycle to Work scheme, childcare vouchers, season ticket loan, laptop allowance, conference attendance allowance. There are monthly company social events, weekly deliveries of fruit, film nights and an annual Unruly Festival.
About the Role: Mission
- Work alongside Product Development team members and other Unruly teams to develop cutting edge products in the Ad Tech space using a combination of lean and agile development practices.
- Extend and maintain our platforms, pairing with other developers
- Become part of a team that regularly retrospects and reflects in order to continuously improve
- Collaborate with our product experts (and others) to help decide what we should deliver next
About the Role: Key Relationships
- Development team
- Customers (people across the business and end users)
About You: Experience
- Experience of object-oriented design in Java, Python or C#
- Experience with Databases – relational or otherwise
- Experience querying data
- Experience integrating with other systems (data doesn’t move itself!)
- Solid understanding of internet and web technologies such as HTTP
- Awareness of some of the practices of Extreme Programming (e.g. pair programming or TDD)
- You care about code quality and consider: cleanliness, modularity, testability, extensibility, scalability, defensiveness.
About You: Skills
- An excellent communicator with good attention to detail, able to communicate effectively both in person and in writing
- A rapid learner, able to pick up new concepts quickly and apply them in a practical way
- Able to approach systematically diagnosing unfamiliar technical issues
- Committed to high standards in your work
About You: Behaviour
- Sociable – happy to do pair programming
- Flexible – able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities
- Passionate – interested in the latest web technologies and trends
- Confident – able to clearly express your ideas in discussions
- Curious – willing and able to questions that help you learn and develop
- Change oriented – willing and able to be part of an environment that is geared towards continuous improvement
The Wow Factor
We’d love it if you have:
- Understanding of ad-serving and ad technologies
- Experience setting up / maintaining servers in a cloud environment
- Experience with AWS cloud services
- Experience working with structured and unstructured data
- Experience working with ‘Big Data’
- Understand how to write good unit and integration tests
- Passion for learning on a wide front – we want people who bring new perspectives to the technical organisation, either from their background or from what they are learning day-to-day
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform or other)
- Docker or other container technologies
You should be passionate about helping the business gain value from the team’s products, and willing to ensure that the systems are operating correctly. This will involve participating in an on-call rota to investigate and resolve critical issues affecting your team’s software when they (rarely) occur out-of-hours.
We operate using a Lean approach to new software development, with frequent releases and a focus on getting minimal viable products into market as early as possible to gather incremental feedback – this forms the core of our process.
Send an email to [email protected] with CV attached, your name, and “Data Platform Developer” in the subject line. Please specify your availability to commence the role and don’t forget to tell us where you heard about the role! All applicants are required to be authorised to work in the UK.
We celebrate diversity at our company and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
We love reviewing all the applications we receive, but unfortunately we’re not able to get back to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in touch!