Data Engineering Team Lead – London
WANTED: A product development team lead and hands-on contributor (software developer, data scientist, or product manager) who is enthusiastic about both technical practices and iterative product delivery. You will be responsible for ensuring all aspects of product development are working smoothly and effectively within one of our Extreme Programming teams.
Your team will have collective responsibility for everything from product direction and architecture, domain modelling, work prioritisation, operational rollout and support of its products. You will be accountable for ensuring the team is fulfilling its responsibilities in these areas. You will collaborate on product direction, ensure incremental value is delivered to our customers, and ensure that there is a shared longer term vision. You will also have line management responsibilities for your team.
The Data Engineering team is a new team in Unruly that has come together to create market leading data products around targeted advertising. They consume and manage data in the multi-terabyte scale from existing systems, and use the latest data engineering technology and processes to create products that directly help publishers better monetise their content and help advertisers optimise polite engagement with their audiences.
Benefits: Conference attendance allowance, private health cover, iPhone or Android phone, Cycle to Work scheme, childcare vouchers, season ticket loan, laptop allowance. There are monthly company social events, weekly deliveries of fruit, Xbox contests, occasional games nights, film nights and an annual Unruly Festival. Plus we spend way too much time watching and sharing the most awesome videos on the Web.
About the Role: Mission
Your mission will be to:
- Ensure that our platforms provide market leading revenue generation, reporting and management features for Unruly’s publishers.
About the Role: Key Relationships
- SVP Business Development
- Executive Team
- Product Development team
- External suppliers
About You: Experience
You must have:
- Taken new products in the media-tech landscape to market and established a good product/market fit, or have worked on a team delivering a new product to market with good understanding of the process.
- Commercial experience – in competitor landscaping, price modelling, closing partnerships
- Experience working as part of an agile team as a product owner or customer and an ability to quickly grasp quite complex tradeoffs so that you can help the dev team make decisions with a full understanding of the implications
- Proposed new solutions and organised additional technical and commercial research as needed to test assumptions.
- Demonstrated understanding of using a lean and iterative approach to product development and gaining traction in market
- Experience of social media and marketing services
- Complex project and stakeholder management experience
- Exposure to or experience in the insight or research functions within a business (technology or media environment preferable) or a degree with an analytical focus
- Experience managing customer and supplier relationships – communicating clearly and managing expectations
About You: Skills
You must be:
- Very results focussed, with a strong mix of lateral and logical problem solving skills
- Excellent at supplier/partner evaluation and relationship building
- Great at data analysis, able to understanding complex data quickly and able to describe patterns in results
- Skilled at testing your ideas before developing a whole solution
- Able to juggle deadlines, dependencies, roadblocks and stakeholders
- Able to rapidly set up new processes needed for delivery
- Exceptional at relationship-building; able to to develop and maintain good working relationships at all levels
- Able to map and continually update competitor landscapes
- Fantastic at customer service – nothing is too much trouble for you!
- Extremely organized with the ability to prioritise and manage workload amid conflicting project demands and busy work periods.
- A strong communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
About You: Behaviour
You must be:
- Self-motivated – it is critical that you are able to move the product development forward with only “steering”. Nobody will be writing your to-do list for you.
- Passionate – about social media and the marketing opportunity it affords to major brands
- Inspirational – inspiring confidence in this new product (and the high quality delivery capability and expertise that underpins it) in stakeholders across our organisation
- Confident – calm under pressure and able to work to tight deadlines, on own initiative, and with limited supervision; confident escalating business critical issues internally/externally
- Analytical – able to think analytically, solve problems creatively and articulate solutions and suggestions in a cool, calm and collected manner
- A superb communicator – with the ability to effectively liaise with different teams, both internal and external
- Flexible – able to deal confidently with ad-hoc requests from within the business
- Discreet – confident dealing with confidential material and trade secrets
About You: Education & Qualifications
- Honours-level degree or equivalent preferred (University of Life also counts)
- This role may involve international travel
The WOW factor!
We’d love it if you:
- Have experience working in a technology start up
- Have experience in ad tech, particularly programmatic, Real Time Buying or Video
- Have experience working with advertisers, media agencies and publishers.
- Understand what these acronyms refer to: VAST, VPAID, SSP, DSP, DMP, RTB, PMP and OBA.
As part of the application process there will be a short task to prepare before interview stage.
We love reviewing all the applications we receive, but unfortunately we’re not able to get back to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in touch!
Having issues with your application? You can always email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your information will be used according to our candidate privacy notice which can be found here.