WANTED: A senior software developer to join our extreme programming team. Someone who wants to do more than just code, we want a dreamer, a creator, someone who likes to discuss ideas and enjoys working with others to design and create great features and products. Someone who understands that “what you build” is just as important as “how you build it”. You will be discussing strategy, product design and system architecture as well as testing and coding, whilst working on market leading solutions in the social video space. You must be happy talking with non-technical people, discussing ideas, doing pair programming and be keen to develop your skills in all areas of product development.
In this role you’ll work with a team of highly experienced developers (and other tech area specialists), and will work with a wide range of advanced web and cloud technologies. You’ll develop your skills whilst applying them to real world problems. If you’ve ever thought “one day I would like to start a tech company” or “maybe I could lead a team”, this is a great role to better understand what is involved- it gives you an opportunity to understand every aspect of product development – not just writing code.
Reports to: Team Lead, Product Development
Location: East London
Employment Type: Permanent
Working Hours: 7.5 hours per day with Core Hours 10.00am – 4.30pm
Salary: Highly Competitive
Benefits: Private health cover, iPhone or Android phone, Cycle to Work scheme, season ticket loan, laptop allowance, conference attendance allowance. There are company social events, weekly deliveries of fruit and film nights .
About the Role: Mission
Your mission will be to:
- Work alongside Product Development team members and other Unruly teams to develop cutting edge ad tech products using a combination of lean and agile development practices.
- Extend and maintain our platforms, pairing with other developers
- Be part of full team design, discovery and reflection
- Collaborate with our product experts (and others) to help decide what we should deliver next
About the Role: Key Relationships
- Development team
- Customers (people across the business and end users)
About You: Experience
You must have:
- Knowledge of:
- HTML5 and earlier versions
- CSS3 and earlier versions
- Understanding of internet and web technologies such as HTTP, CDNs, DNS
- Experience with cross-browser issues and knowledge of techniques for avoiding them
- Experience working with JS libraries, widgets, frameworks and best practice
Experience of at least two of the following:
- Mobile web development challenges
- MV-* style client frameworks
- Mobile development Android/iOS
- Java (or other JVM languages)
About You: Skills
You must be:
- An excellent communicator with good attention to detail, able to communicate effectively both in person and in writing
- A rapid learner, able to pick up new concepts quickly and apply them in a practical way
- Able to approach systematically diagnosing unfamiliar technical issues
- Committed to high standards in your work
- Strong at Namespacing/DOM Manipulation/AJAX
- Able to build responsive and elegant web UIs
About You: Behaviour
You must be:
- Sociable – happy to do pair programming
- Flexible – able to adapt and align work to changing requirements and priorities
- Passionate – interested in the latest web technologies and trends
- Confident – able to clearly express your ideas in discussions
- Curious – willing and able to questions that help you learn and develop
- Change oriented – willing and able to be part of an environment that is geared towards continuous improvement
The Wow Factor
We’d love it if you have:
- Existing experience with Java and the associated ecosystem
- Experience with the practices of Extreme Programming
- Passion for learning on a wide front – we want people who bring new perspectives to the technical organisation, either from their background or from what they are learning day-to-day
- A real enthusiasm for constantly improving both software and software development processes
- Understanding of ad-serving and ad technologies
- Experience setting up / maintaining server
You should be passionate about helping the business gain value from the team’s products, and willing to ensure that the systems are operating correctly. This will involve participating in an on-call rota to investigate and resolve critical issues affecting your team’s software when they (rarely) occur out-of-hours.
We operate using a Lean approach to new software development, with frequent releases and a focus on getting minimal viable products into market as early as possible to gather incremental feedback – this forms the core of our process.
Send an email to [email protected] with CV attached, your name, and “Senior Software Developer ” in the subject line. Please specify your availability to commence the role and don’t forget to tell us where you heard about the role! All applicants are required to be authorised to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
We love reviewing all the applications we receive, but unfortunately we’re not able to get back to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in touch!